By staff reporter
As the debacle over the US country star’s highly-anticipated run of Croke Park concerts rumbles on, Garth Brooks has responded to Dublin City Council’s cancellation of licenses for two of them saying “It is all five shows or none at all”.
Dublin City Council granted permission for only three out of five Brooks concerts at Croke Park later this month.
Concerts on 25, 26 and 27 July have the go-ahead, but those scheduled for 28 and 29 July have not. About 400,000 fans have booked tickets.
There were reports that promoters were seeking an alternative venue such as Dublin’s O2 or the Aviva Stadium but these have been dismissed as there is not enough time for a licence application.
A statement from Brooks said: “I can’t thank the people of Ireland enough for how welcome they have made me feel.
“I have faith that Dublin City Council will make the best decision for the people of Ireland.
“For us, it is five shows or none at all. To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another.”
In a statement, Dublin City Council said: “It would not be appropriate to grant five consecutive nights of concerts.”
Residents living near the GAA stadium threatened legal action after the initial two concerts were increased to five.
A total of 400,000 tickets have been sold for the five dates, but Dublin City Council has given permission for just three to now go ahead, with the Monday and Tuesday dates (28 and 29 July) cancelled.
DCC has said that the full decision is expected to be released soon, and fans have been advised to ‘wait and see’.
Residents near Croke Park earlier in the week said that they were looking into taking out a court injunction as one of the legal options to put a stop to the concerts.