Get the Perfect home blowdry with these simple tips
We all know what it’s like – you leave the salon with picture perfect blow dried locks, but when you try and recreate the look at home, you end up looking like you’ve been dragged through a hedge backwards. But now, armed with a list of tips, it’s never been easier to get the perfect blow dry from the comfort of your own home.
Maria Galati, Art Director at Taylor Taylor London, told Cover Media that the most important factor in getting the perfect blow dry is investing in a good hairdryer, “powerful but lightweight” – try the new 2200W Nicky Clarke Electricals SuperShine Dryer for a perfect, shiny finish.
“Towel dry hair and then detangle by starting from the bottom and working your way up,” Maria continues. Make sure your hair is towel dried well before applying any product as if hair is soaking wet it will dilute the product and make it less effective.
Kala Kilshaw, Head of Creative at EGO Professional, recommended a volumising spray, adding: “A volumiser spray will add body to fine limp hair and will inject some height at the roots with your blowout. If your hair is thick and or curly you will need a good leave-in conditioner to keep your hair frizz free. Regardless of your hair type, always apply a heat protectant spray to your hair to prevent blow dry and heat damage.”
To kick things off, Maria adds you should start by rough drying hair 80 per cent, before you divide into sections and start blow drying. Dividing it into sections makes it easier to blow dry and gives a more even result.
Kala adds: “Just relax and allow plenty of time, working with smaller hair sections to ensure a perfect blow dry, every time. If you find the hair drying up, simply spritz with a little water and product to get the hair moist again before blow drying.
“The secret is that each section shouldn’t be wider than the width of the brush or taller than the depth of the brush. Working with manageable sections means that you will avoid any stress and your blow dry will run as smoothly as possible, just like your hair.”
The perfect blow dry is “all about control”, Kala explains, listing the following as her top tips:
- Grip and pull the brush through your hair with full control
- Always blowdry in an upward motion to get curl and volume
- Give a lot of attention to your roots and blow dry upwards
- Avoid overblowing – the worst thing you can do is over dry your hair as it will just result in unmanageable frizz
- Do not flip! If you want a controlled blow out then do not flip the hair
- Don’t ignore your nozzle! Use your hair dryer’s attachment tools
- Keep that hairdryer moving
- Keep your hair super taut throughout your blow dry
- Don’t part your hair before you dry it – lose the parting and blow dry everything upwards and backwards
- Ensure you blow dry every individual hair strand from the roots to the ends
© Cover Media