Pair jailed for Irishman’s murder

michael hunt

A man and woman who savagely beat a Waterford man to death before stripping and dumping his body in a skip were each sentenced to 19 years imprisonment today.

Fiona Nalty, 25, of Coulsdon and Arry James Green, 22, of no fixed address, were both found guilty of murdering 37-year-old Michael Hunt, yesterday at the Old Bailey, following a three and a half week trial.

Nalty and Green were both known to Michael and the attack was found to be prompted by a trivial dispute after the three had been drinking on a night out. 

Fiona Nalty
Fiona Nalty

The court heard how police were called shortly after 7am on Saturday March 15 after Michael was found collapsed in an alleyway off Station Road, SE25.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended the scene and Michael was taken by ambulance to Kings College Hospital, where he died shortly before midday.

Michael was an Irish national from Waterford, Ireland. A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as a blunt trauma to the head and torso with associated complications.

The investigation, led by the Homicide and Major Crime Command under Detective Chief Inspector Diane Tudway quickly identified the culprits with Green arrested on the day of the murder and Nalty three days later. Forensic evidence from the attack – which included evidence of very violent kicks and stamps to Michael’s body – linked both culprits to the crime scene.

DCI Diane Tudway, said: “Michael was described by his friends and family as a friendly man and did nothing to provoke the savage attack that would ultimately cause his death. Both Nalty and Green did their best to thwart our investigation, denying all knowledge when first interviewed.

Arry James Green
Arry James Green

“They have been found to have acted in a very calculated fashion, taking Michael down an alleyway out of the sight of passers-by and CCTV cameras before aiming vicious blows to his head. Although drunk, both coldly and deliberately acted to hide Michael’s body after the deadly attack.

“I am very grateful to the local community who helped us to piece together the tragic events leading to Mick’s death. I hope today’s verdict goes some way to bringing some solace to Mick’s family, both here and in Ireland, at this very difficult time.”

Mr Hunt’s family said in a statement: “We love and miss you lots and lots, you will never be forgotten.

“Mick was such a kind gentle natured spirit, always happy-go-lucky with a dry sense of humour. He had a kind heart and was a loving big blue eyed sliver fox. Mick was very family orientated he was loved by everyone who he came into contact with him.”


Sign in or create your account to join the discussion

Register now to keep up to date with all the latest:

  • Irish News
  • Sport
  • Community and Entertainment

Sign up to our Newsletter to be in with a chance to win a snazzy iPad and for all the latest...

  • Email updates
  • Regular features
  • Competitions and give aways