By Madeline O’Connor
A GROUP campaigning for safer conditions for construction workers has said London construction sites must not go back to being the “killing fields” they once were.
Two London construction workers died and one had a narrow escape in just six days last week.
Peter Farrell, Chair of the Construction Safety Campaign said: “There must be no return to the killing fields of old on London’s construction sites. We demand urgent action by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) telling all construction employers they will not tolerate any increase in construction worker deaths.”
He added: “There must also be more HSE construction inspectors working pro-actively to prevent any increase in deaths in the construction industry.”
On March 2, a construction worker was killed on a construction site in the Warton Rd area of Stratford, after being struck by equipment on an excavator and on March 7, another worker was killed by falling concrete while working underground on the Crossrail project at Fisher St in Holborn.
On March 7, a 35 year old crane driver suffered serious head injuries when a crane jib collapsed on Balfour Beatty’s 43-storey Providence Tower site in London’s Docklands.