Irish government to review concert licensing rules

Joan-Burton

By Shelley Marsden

The Department of the Environment has announced a review of the concert licensing system following controversy over the Garth Brooks concerts.

Dublin Lord Mayor Christy Burke and Tánaiste Joan Burton both discussed the possibility of the concerts still going ahead.

In a statement, Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly said: “I am committed to a carrying out a wholesale review of the way major events are handled.”

He said this would be developed further in the coming months, “as opposed to carrying it out in rushed manner that is in neither the interests of concert-goers, residents or the planning system in general”.

“I believe this situation can only be solved by all the parties coming together in an atmosphere of calm and with all sides being flexible in their approach.

“If this happens, I would be optimistic that the common good and common sense will prevail as the distance between all parties is not insurmountable.”

Meanwhile, the dispute continued over the weekend, with Mr Burke saying he felt some progress on a solution over staging the concerts being reached.

He said talks were continuing between the Department of the Environment and City Manager Owen Keegan. Meanwhile Ms Burton said there was a slim possibility of an agreement being reached over all five performances.

Fans protested about the cancelled concerts in the streets of Dublin over the weekend, as Ticketmaster announced automatic refunds would be made this coming Thursday, not Tuesday as had previously been said.

COMMENTS (0)

Sign in or create your account to join the discussion

Register now to keep updated with the latest Irish news

  • Email updates
  • Competitions and give aways
  • Full access to 28 years of archives

Register now to keep updated with the latest Irish news

  • Email updates
  • Competitions and give aways
  • Full access to 28 years of archives