HURLERS GET LONDON BACK ON TRACKHurlers claim impressive Carlow win

London Senior hurlers delivered one of their most impressive displays, to get their Allianz League ambitions back on track, with a solid performance, ensuring a 17-point win away win over Carlow on Sunday at Netwatch Cullen Park.

The visitors were rank outsiders, but upset the form book to produce a magnificent performance, which saw them in attacking mode from the off. A strong first half performance was key, and aided by a strong wind assistance, London started well with scorer-in-chief Kevin O’Loughlin opening their account with a pointed 65 metre free in the second minute. O’Loughlin went on to give an exhibition of scoring from play, free taking and from two well executed sideline cuts one from either side over the contest.


Although Carlow equalised with a fourth minute Conor Lawlor point and Craig Wall put them in front, once Mark O’Dwyer delivered an equaliser for London, the visitors wouldn’t trail this game.

Again London worked hard, and were rewarded when they force a 65’ in the eighth minute, which O’Loughlin converted to give the visitors the lead.

London completely dominated over the next 25 minutes, and fired 1-8 without reply. Kevin Reid added a point from play in the 10th minute, before Martin Duggan added another, after a poor puck-out by the Carlow keeper.

Duggan was working hard at this stage, and he pounced for London’s opening goal at the end of the first quarter.

Reid delivered a long range free, which was kept in play by Shane O’Donnell , with Duggan on hand to rifle the bouncing ball to the roof of the net on 16 minutes. O’Loughlin took a firm grip on this game between the 22nd and 28th minutes with four points, one from play, another from a sideline cut on the left ,one from a long range free and a second sideline cut from the right, as London began to pull away.

There was no stopping Fergus McMahon’s side at this juncture, and following points from midfielder Noel McDonnell and O’Loughlin, London led by 1-11 to 0-2 after 32 minutes.


Carlow needed something quickly, with Craig Wall breaking London’s scoring streak, after a 27-minute barren spell for the hosts on the scoreboard. A minute later, Carlow native Daryl Roberts cancelled out this score with a point for London, before London caused havoc in the Carlow defence yet again.

A free taken from his own 45 by London goalkeeper Padraig Buckley landed inside the Carlow 13-metre line, before O’Loughlin pounced to slot the ball to the net, ensuring a 2-12 to 0-3 interval scoreline.


Carlow considerably upped their game on the restart, with substitutes Sean Michael Nolan and Marty Kavanagh impressive. However, as they had done in the first half, London started the second period brightly with O’Loughlin converting a 65’, while Mark O’Dwyer added to their tally soon after. Carlow pressed hard and a sustained attack yielded a 65 which David English converted after 41 minutes.

At the opposite end London kept up the pressure and added another O’Loughlin point before Duggan was fouled by Carlow goalie Jack Barron for a penalty which O’Loughlin converted in the 46th minute. The hosts dropped to 14 men, after two yellows inside a five-minute spell saw Diarmuid Byrne sent to the line.

HURLERS GET LONDON BACK ON TRACKHowever, Carlow responded well, digging deep and won a 49th minute penalty, following a foul on Kavanagh, which English blazed over the cross-bar for a point. Carlow continued to work hard to eat into London’s lead, with Sean Michael Nolan adding a point. O’Loughlin continued to prove dangerous and bore down on the Carlow goal-mouth, to finish yet another goal and complete his hat-trick in the 59thminute. The ex-Kilmacud Crokes clubman bore down on goals only to be hooked, but showed great vision to kick the ball to the net.

O’Loughlin was injured during this attack, and although playing on, he was called ashore four minutes later, having finished the day with an impressive 3-9.

Carlow weren’t going to finish this game without a fight and hit back with 1-2 through a Nolan point on 60 minutes, and a minute later a goal from Sean Whelan, following a Kavanagh pass.

Quick scores

Nolan added his third point in the 64th minute to ensure a 4-15 to 1-9 scoreline. London bounced back with a Roberts score, before Craig Wall brought his tally to four points with two quick scores back-to-back for the hosts. However, Carlow failed to add to this, with Roberts inflicting further damage on his former team-mates. A good save by Buckley from a Kavanagh shot, saw a defensive move quickly turned into a London attack, with substitute Bill Walsh taking a pass from Roberts to fire London’s fifth goal in injury-time, and cement a comfortable win.

LONDON: Pádraig Buckley; Thomas Lawrence, Luke Gaule, Christopher McAlinden; Fergal Collins, Brian Regan, Oisin Gately; Noel McDonnell (0-1), Damien Brown; Mark O’Dwyer (0-2), Kevin Reid (0- 1), Daryl Roberts (0-2); Shane O’Donnell, Martin Duggan (1- 1), Kevin O’Loughlin (3-9, 1-0 pen, 3 65s, 2fs). SUBS: Bill Walsh (1-0) for O’Donnell (43); Peter Phelan for Reid (48); Barry Kiely for McDonnell (54); Michael O’Dwyer for O’Loughlin (62); Stephen Bardon for Duggan (63).

CARLOW: Jack Barron; Ronan Nolan, Shane Kavanagh, Michael Malone; Ger Coady, Diarmuid Byrne, James O’Hara; David English (0-2, 65, pen), Kevin McDonald; Craig Wall (0-4), Seamus Murphy (0-1), James Doyle; Denis Murphy, Conor Lawlor (0-1), Sean Whelan (1- 0). SUBS: John Michael Nolan (0-3) for Coady (26); Marty Kavanagh for Doyle (44).

REFEREE: John O’Brien (Tipperary).


Sign in or create your account to join the discussion

Register now to keep up to date with all the latest:

  • Irish News
  • Sport
  • Community and Entertainment

Sign up to our Newsletter to be in with a chance to win a snazzy iPad and for all the latest...

  • Email updates
  • Regular features
  • Competitions and give aways