Kayleigh O’Donovan explores the best tanning products on the market
27-year-old Kayleigh O’Donovan was previously the manager of Chloe’s Beauty Bar in Brentwood, which is owned by The Only Way is Essex star Chloe Simms. She is now a freelance beauty and fashion journalist and is developing her own brand at House of Vanity.
She takes a look at what’s on offer for getting a summer glow without the sunshine.
1. Coco Brown NIGHT & DAY Mousse £7.99 Best for an instant yet long lasting tan. This can be applied ready for your night out then washed off the next day to leave you with a long lasting tan. Zero smell and streak free
2. Skinny Tan 7 Day Tanner Currently £14.99 at Superdrug Dual action tanning & cellulite reducing cream. I have rated this a 3 as I feel this product isn’t going to work miracles on the first treatment and I feel people may feel like it should with regards to the name and packaging. This tan won’t take that extra 5lbs you’ve been trying to shift, it does however greatly reduce the appearance of cellulite and leave a lovely colour bronze to the skin.
3. Bondi Sands Tanning Mist (Dark) £14.99 Deep dark tan, with long lasting even results for over 7 days and then fades evenly. On application the tan is coconut fragranced and applies in light even mist.
4. Lauren Goodger Darker than Dark Tanning Mousse £19.95 Scent free, very smooth mousse consistency. However I found on myself this tan is slightly too orangey on my skin and when the tan begins to wear off it does so in an uneven manner.
5. NKD SKN by Vita Liberata Dark Tan Mousse Currently £8.49 in Superdrug NKD Skin is great on first application nice smell, lovely deep bronze and applies evenly however on me personally didn’t last long enough after about 3 days it began to wear off unevenly.
Achieving the Perfect Sunless Tan
• Always do a full body scrub the day before, stay away from oil based body scrubs I recommend Palmers Coco Butter Scrub. Then moisturise with a hydrating body lotion.
• Shower before you apply tan, do not apply any product however using a shower puff to remove product from the underarms or additional moisturiser. Finish with the shower head on cold to close your pores.
• Before starting to apply your tan, use a thick consistency moisturiser on drier areas like knees, heels and elbows. I then always rub the excess over the back of my hands to stop my knuckles developing too dark.
• Follow application and developing instructions as per your chosen tan. The Marc Inbane Tanning mitt (INSET) is 100% the best on the market. For application to the face I apply my usual face moisturiser and then use my Chloes Beauty Bar Duo Fibre Face brush to blend the tan into my face and neck evenly.
• Once the tan has developed and you have washed it off apply a rich moisturiser daily however avoid anything too oily.
• When it gets to the time of needing to remove any stubborn remains of tan, put baby oil into a hot bath and soak when you get out scrub over your skin with an old towel this will lift off the stubborn remains of tan amazingly
Contributor: Kayleigh O’Donovan
House of Vanity
Mobile Make up Artist and Style
You may also be interested in our articles: