NEWS — 09 July 2014

garth-brooks_7

The Chairman of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications, John O’Mahony, has said that it has written to the GAA, Aiken Promotions and Dublin City Council, asking them to appear before the committee tomorrow following news of the cancellation of all five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park.

The committee seeks to establish the chain of events that led to the cancellation of the five Garth Brooks concerts. Mr O’Mahony said the committee also wants to look at the subsequent effect to tourism of those cancellations. It is hoped the committee will meet tomorrow and Friday.

It was confirmed yesterday afternoon that Brooks’ epic Dublin comeback stint is no more, as it was confirmed that he has pulled out of all five shows.

After negative response to his comments stating it was five shows or no shows, the country and western superstar was said to have felt ‘unwelcome’ in Ireland. It will affect some 400,000 people who managed to get their hands on tickets for the sold-out show as Ticketmaster said the return process is unprecedented in the Irish entertainment industry.

Peter Aikin flew to America to have crisis talks with Brooks yesterday before Aikin Promotions released the following statement yesterday:

It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled.
No concerts will take place.
The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow.
Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event.We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event.

Dublin City Council refused to grant a license for two of the five concerts as three concerts had already been held at Croke Park this year, following protests from local residents who had opposed the five nights in a row, on top of One Direction concerts held earlier in the year.

Garth Brooks had responded to Dublin City’s decision by saying: “I can’t thank the people of Ireland enough for how welcome they have made me feel.

“I have faith that Dublin City Council will make the best decision for the people of Ireland.

“For us, it is five shows or none at all. To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another.”

Garth Brooks is to hold a press conference on Thursday to formally address the issues surrounding the cancellation.

We had previously revealed how that 70,000 overseas fans, many from the UK, were due to travel to the concert, so even if their tickets are refunded they will face finding themselves out of pocket for flights, hotels and loss of annual leave.

Ticket holders who made the purchase over the phone, online or mobile need do nothing, as Ticketmaster say that an automatic refund will be made to the card by 15 July.

Customers should allow up to ten days for the refund to reach their account.

People who bought their tickets from unauthorised ticket sellers will need to contact that seller to attempt to claim a refund.

For tickets purchased through Ticketmaster ticket centres, a refund form is available from ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds.

Arts minister Jimmy Deenihan responded to the latest news saying: “This is an embarrassment [for Ireland]”  while Enda Kenn agreed, saying: “It is a shock to the system in terms of the economy of the city and the reputation of our country”.

Print Friendly

Share

About Author

fionao

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.